Use Case: Organizations require the ability to measure and track other metrics and present this additional data in the Project Summary Dashboard on the portfolio site. This requires additional customization of the Project Health List.
You can customize the Project Health List by adding additional columns to it and displaying the new columns in the List Rollup Web Part on the portfolio, or top-level, site.
1. Add the New Column to the Project Health List
The new column needs to be the same in all of the Project Health Lists, both at the portfolio and the project sites. You also need to add the column to all of the views.
- To create the new column, navigate to your portfolio and project sites' Project Health List by selecting Central Actions > Lists > Project Health > Settings > Create Column.
- Add your column and click OK. In this example, the column Documents is created.
- To add the column to all of the views, select Central Actions > View All Site Content > Customize Project Health. Scroll down to Views and click each view to add the new column.
The column is now displayed in the views.
2. View the Data View for the List Rollup Web Part
- Return to the portfolio site. Click the arrow next to Project Summary and select Modify Shared Web Part.
- In the configuration tool pane under Data Source Settings, the URL for the data view of the List Rollup Web Part is displayed.
- Copy the URL. Open a new browser window and type in your server name and top site, then paste in the URL to display the data view of the List Rollup Web Part, for example, http://moss1.topsite/PMCentralPages/ActiveView.aspx. The data view is displayed.
3. Add the List Rollup Web Part to the Page
- Edit the page by selecting Site Actions > Edit Page. Add the List Rollup Web Part by clicking Add a Web Part. Select Bamboo List Rollup Web Part from the list.
- Under Available Templates on the right, click Active, then Load Template.
- Click Preview.
- Scroll down the page a bit. The new column is displayed.
- Click Create, located next to Preview, then click Preview. You can leave the new template name as Copy of Active or create a new name such as Active 2.
- The new data view is hidden. Display the data view by modifying the Web Part, expanding Layout in the configuration tool pane and unchecking Hidden. Click Apply and then OK.
4. Reconfigure the Data-Viewer Web Part to Display Updated Data
- Select the new Master List by navigating to Portfolio Site > Project Summary > Modify Shared Web Part. In the configuration tool pane under Data Source Settings, select the new Master List from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the columns that you want to be displayed. Click Apply and then OK.
- The new column is displayed in the Project Health List.
In PM Central R1.8 and older, after you upgrade your version of PM Central, you need to follow steps 3-4 again in order to recreate the new data view of the List Rollup Web Part and so that the Data-Viewer Web Part can consume this new data view.
You can create a project site template that includes the new column so that all new projects you create will automatically contain this column. For more information, read KB.12469: How to Create a Project Site Template That Includes Additional Columns.